We heard an interesting statistic recently.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, heating and cooling costs make up 48% of your energy bill.
If you’re like most people, you probably already do a few things to save money, like setting the thermostat to a warmer temperature at night. However, there are many other ways to save money on your cooling costs.
Here are a few of our favorites. Try a few and see how much you save on your utility bills (you can thank us later).
1. Install an air conditioner with a high-energy efficiency rating (SEER) and you could significantly cut your energy costs (up to in half in some cases).
2. Install your air conditioner in the shade, or provide shade with a trellis or strategically placed landscaping. Your air conditioner will use more energy if it is in direct sunlight.
3. Schedule an appointment with your local cooling company to have them evaluate your current system. The size of your air conditioner is important and can waste energy if it is too small, or even too large, for your home.
4. Don’t use appliances that produce heat, as the oven, dishwasher or dryer do during the day.
5. Don’t forget to clean or replace your air filter monthly. Built up dirt or dust on your air filter can restrict airflow and force your air conditioner to work harder than it needs to.
6. Keep up with annual maintenance for your air conditioner. Having your system tuned up will help extend the life of your air conditioner as well as improve its efficiency.
For more information about maintaining your air conditioner please visit our website or contact us today. If you live near our Ft. Lauderdale, Florida service area, we would be happy to help with your air conditioner service, tune-ups, replacement or repair.