Do you know the difference between a water softener and a water filter? In order to understand this, you’ll need to understand the difference between hard water and contaminated water.
If you have hard water it means that your water is high in mineral content. The mineral content consists mainly of calcium and magnesium in the form of carbonates. This “hard water” is not harmful to humans but can be trouble on plumbing fixtures, pipes, and hot water heaters.
Water softeners are used to combat the affects of hard water. Water softeners mechanically soften the water by exchanging the hardness minerals (calcium and magnesium) with sodium. As your water passes over tiny resin beads, calcium and magnesium ions are removed from the water in exchange for sodium ions. The hardness minerals that were taken from the water are then sent down the drain along with residual salt.
Contaminated water, on the other hand, is water that has chemicals in it. This water still has the calcium and magnesium in it but also has been influenced by something it picked up in the environment. Water may need treatment for quite a variety of conditions. Some of these are just nuisances and some are dangerous. Water treatment makes water taste and smell better and be safer. Some of the conditions and pollutants that can show up in your water are bacteria, acidity or alkalinity, sediment, chemicals and minerals.
Water pollution and water-borne contaminants are climbing to their highest levels since the super-polluted era of the 1970s. The importance of clean, safe drinking water is greater than ever. Families everywhere are looking for not only better tasting water, but also for cleaner water that will ensure their family’s safety and good health.
At Lindstrom Plumbing we are proud to offer Everpure® Water Filtration Systems. The inside of the Everpure filter system contains a Micro-Pure® precoat filtration technology, which delivers six times more filtering power and superior chlorine and particulate reduction, with sanitary quick-change cartridge replacement that’s as easy as changing a light bulb.
Benefits of Everpure Water Filtration Systems:
• Provides fresh water on-demand to your South Florida home.
• Acts as a final contaminant barrier, purifying your drinking water to premium quality so that it’s sparkling and free of unwanted tastes and odors, for better tasting water.
• Delivers clear, clean, fresh-tasting water for drinking and cooking.
• Cost effective – At only pennies a gallon, this system is less expensive per glass than bottled water or other drinking water systems and can provide up to a year’s supply of water, depending upon the size of your family and the amount of water you drink.
• Reduces contaminants such as lead, dirt, chlorine, algae, mold and cysts.
To learn more about Everpure® Water Filtration Systems, contact us.