One of the most common plumbing calls we get is for clogged drains. A clog is by definition when a large item or several smaller items get lodged into a pipe. Of course, the best solution to this problem is to prevent it from occurring in the first place.
Below are some suggestions to help you avoid future clogs.
- In the tub or shower, invest in an inexpensive hair trap or screen to prevent the majority of hair and soap scum from going down the drain.
- Do not put anything down the toilet, except normal waste and toilet paper. Even the so-called “flushable wipes” can cause clogs.
- In the kitchen, don’t pour cooking grease down your drain. It will harden and coat your pipes with a sticky scum that will catch other particles and eventually clog the pipe. Instead, keep it in a coffee can or milk container and dispose of it with your garbage once it’s cooled.
- You should also avoid dumping coffee grounds down the drain. They’re notorious for causing clogs.
- Maintaining your drains on a regular basis is also a great way to keep your pipes clean and clear. At Lindstrom Plumbing we recommend using a natural, non-toxic drain cleaner like Dura-Drain Pro (exclusively available through Lindstrom Plumbing). Using a harsh, toxic, off-the-shelf product to clear a drain is not only harmful and damaging to your plumbing system, but can be dangerous to your family as well. Dura-Drain Pro uses only natural microbes, which consume most everything that goes down the drain, digesting the build-up. And when used on a monthly basis, Dura-Drain Pro helps keep drains clog free.
Need more help? Contact us on our Ask An Expert webpage.