If your mom was anything like ours, she probably had plenty to say about the way things should be done. And if you’re anything like we are, her words of wisdom likely went in one ear and right out the other. We don’t like to go back and admit to her she was right, either. So we’ve gone ahead and compiled a list of the 6 things she was probably trying to teach you. If you’re feeling generous, you might buy her flowers with all of the money you’re about to save on your air conditioning.
1. Remember to clean or replace your air filter every month. Doing so allows your system to work more efficiently. Allowing dirt and dust to build up on your filter restricts airflow, making your air conditioner work harder and use more energy. Save yourself time and money, and buy several filters at a time to help you remember.
2. Check regularly to make sure every air duct return in your home is open. You’d be surprised how many people forget about the air vents in rarely used rooms of their home. It may seem obvious to let the air you spent your hard earned money cooling out of your duct system and into your home, but many times we forget about a couple of vents.
3. Save money by installing and using ceiling fans, correctly. Trick yourself into thinking a room is cooler than it is by using a ceiling fan to circulate air. While a ceiling fan will not lower the temperature of your home, it will make you feel cooler as it blows air across your skin. Just make sure to adjust the direction of the blades every season. Your fan should circulate counterclockwise in the summer. Save even more energy by turning them off when you leave a room.
4. Upgrade to a programmable thermostat. There are many models on the market today that will work for you. You can adjust your thermostat to regulate the temperature in your home around your daily or weekly schedule. Some models even come equipped with the technology to allow you to access them remotely.
5. Close your curtains and blinds during the day and avoid using heat-producing appliances. Don’t overlook the simple things that can add up to a big savings on your cooling bills over time. Your mom will be so proud.
6. Remember your air conditioner needs maintenance to perform at its peak. Remembering to have your system tuned up every summer will increase your air conditioner’s efficiency by up to 20%, as well as extend the life of your system by up to 5 years. A licensed, reputable technician will clean the condenser, ensure your system is running on the optimal amount of refrigerants, and make sure you system has adequate airflow over the coil.
We hope you will take our word for it, and call to schedule an air conditioning tune-up today.
We promise we won’t tell your mom.